Occupational hygiene is the science of anticipating, recognizing, assessing and controlling chemical, physical or biological agents before they adversely affect employees’ health and safety.
- Chemical agents – gases, dusts, mists, fumes, vapours
- Physical agents – noise, radiation, vibration, extreme temperature
- Biological agents – moulds
While some signs of an occupational hygiene problem are immediately apparent – the dizzying smell of solvent vapours, a burning sensation from contact with a certain chemical, ringing in the ears after prolonged exposure to loud noise – common symptoms such as frequent headaches, eye/throat irritation and fatigue can also signal a health hazard. Left unchecked, overexposure to harmful agents can lead to more severe problems such as respiratory conditions, skin diseases and hearing loss.
Consulting and Assessments
The credentials of our occupational hygienists include Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), recognized worldwide, Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH), the Canada-wide designation in occupational hygiene, and Professional Engineer (P.Eng), recognizing competency in the engineering field. Each professional has met the high level of competency by each of the certifying bodies, and continues to maintain his or her calibre of expertise in his or her respective field.
Whatever your exposure concerns are, let us help you recognize, assess and help control hazards to make your workplace healthier.
Technical consulting services include:
- Confined space evaluations
- Air quality sampling (indoor air quality)
- Designated substance assessments (e.g. lead, silica and isocyanates)
- Chemical substance assessments (e.g. solvents, welding fumes, metalworking fluid and metal/wood dust)
- Noise level surveys (including basic noise mapping and dose level monitoring)
- Heat exposure measurements
I2P2 can also develop customized courses and on-site training materials to address the specific technical needs of your organization. Topics include:
- Flammable solvents
- Heat stress
- Confined space
- Chemical exposure
- Air sampling
- Metalworking fluids
- Workplace health
- Indoor air quality
- … and more.
Book a free initial field visit to review your employees’ exposure status with our experts. For more information on how I2P2’s Occupational Hygiene Consulting Services can benefit your organization, call 1-877-941-0707 or 613-369-5151.
© 2016 I2P2 – Injury & Illness Prevention Programs Inc. All Rights Reserved.